Defense of the Ancients (DotA) is a multiplayer online battle arena mod for the video game Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and its expansion,Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, based on the “Aeon of Strife” map for StarCraft. The objective of the scenario is for each team to destroy the opponents’ Ancients, heavily guarded structures at opposing corners of the map. Players use powerful units known as heroes, and are assisted by allied heroes and AI-controlled fighters. As in role-playing games, players level up their heroes and use gold to buy equipment during the mission. Recently famous game developers and the owners of the famous online gaming platform “Steam”, Valve introduced a second and full version of Dota known as the Dota 2.
The genre of the game was called Action RTS (real time strategy) in reference to the style of the game as it the usual genres didn’t fully realize the game. The theme of Dota 2 is the same as Dota 1 but it is a full game unlike Dota 1 which is just a map for Warcraft: The Frozen Throne but both games are F2P (Free to Play). Currently Dota 2 is in it’s beta version with updates and bug fixes every week to make a better experience for the players. The difference between the two is that Dota 2 is….. ummmmm…… how should I put it? It’s much more ‘Shinier’ and ‘Fancier’ as it is powered by Valve’s ‘Source’ engine. With really amazing graphical details and a really unique realistic system which allows the heroes you are controlling speak different dialogues according to the situation. For example if you type ‘lol’ or ‘Hahahaha’ in the chatbox, your hero will laugh as well (Pretty awesome when you use it). Dota 2 is currently the most played game on Steam as http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ shows. The amazing Steam workshop allows players to make items or enhances for a specific hero, but these items are just graphical enhancements to their heroes such as a new fancier dress for the Girl hero Crystal Maiden. Dota 2 can currently be owned only if someone gives you an invite for Dota 2 or a key.
Enough with the introduction, now I shall tell you the must- know- abouts in Dota 2. Firstly lets talk about the language used in Dota 2. By language I mean the abbreviations used to communicate quickly.
- In the map of Dota 2 their are THREE lanes on each side of the both teams. The lanes join together in the middle of the map where the fight starts. The first lane is called TOP lane (the lane which goes to the top of the map), the second is called the middle or mid lane ( the lane which leads to the middle of the map), the third lane is abbreviated bot for the bottom lane and I’m sure that you get the idea where that lane goes.
- The basic ‘Calls’ or commands are M, if you see the words M or SS used in the chat, that means that a the enemy hero in a specific lane is missing meaning he can ambush anyone. If a hero is missing then you MUST give the M or SS call or else you shall face abuse.
- The word ‘gank’ is used instead of the word ambush.
- Their is a giant powerful creature in the center of the map known as ‘Roshan’, if you defeat him, he will drop an item called ‘The Aegis of Immortality’ which revives your hero after a few seconds. If someone says ‘rosh’ it means check if someone is attacking Roshan or that we need to attack that monster.
- Signals are used in Dota 2 on the minimap and the map. Press Alt+Click anywhere on the map or minimap to signal their. If you signal on the enemy hero or defensive turret (tower) that means you are signaling to attack it. If you signal on an ally tower that or a place on the map, that means you are telling your teammates to defend that place or check that place.
- Heroes usually have abilities which allows them to disable the enemy or enemies for few seconds. The most powerful or the most effective ability of a hero is know as his ultimate for which the abbreviation is ‘ult’ or ‘ulti’. So if you hear a person saying stun or ulti then use that spell on the target which you think is important to kill by using your common sense.
- Tp stands as an abbreviation for the word teleport. You can teleport to an ally building by buying a Scroll Of Teleportation for 135 gold.
- If someone says strange abbreviation like dk or cm in the chatbox, they usually refer to a hero, for example Cm stands for Crystal Maiden and Dk stands for Dragon Knight, both are heroes in Dota 2.
Now I shall tell you some basic yet important and brief tips of Dota 2. Be patient, wait for the opportune moment (Jacksparrow quote). And when that moment comes strike hard and true. Their are different combinations of items aka equipment which you buy with the gold you earn. Experiment! Read guides on www.PlayDota.com, but those guides are not the only way to play the game. Be vigilant, keep looking at the minimap after a while to see which heroes are miss and always keep a lookout for chat messages. There are more than a 100 heroes you can try. Be sure to try each and every hero as each one has it’s unique specialties. Oh and the last tip that is also the most important one is that there are different categories of heroes like a Tank ( A hero that can take a lot of damage and give his team time to coordinate an effective attack) and Nuker ( a hero which can do a lot of damage in a really short period of time). Be sure to play according to your category, so when you are a tank then try to divert attention to yourself.
Be sure to have a lot of fun while playing the game. It is really community-based and super fun. If you want an invite PM (private message, another abbreviation in the outside dota world) me for a key at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you want some help with the game itself, let me know in the comments!